So, we girls honestly believe that they are entirely different species from the Planet Goo-goo. We simply cannot understand them. They speak a different language. And we truly hate them for they are the epitome of grossness. They invented unspoken and unwritten rules that make boogers edible and you will never pass adolescence unless you eat Colgate during recess breaks. But despite the odds, we adore them. And whether we admit it or not, they became the favorite object of our curiosity and wonder how they play their game and if this game is just the same as ours.
What we are truly not aware of, men had laid down their version of Constitution where rules are properly set according to their own terms. They call it the “Bro Code” or the rules that they need to know and follow in order to become one of the big boys.
Girls, don’t fret.
These hot bachelors in town are finally breaking and revealing the Rules to yours truly. You may check the list below in your own liking and savage the little infos that might be playing in the mind of your boyfriends or target-of-interest. This time, I’m not playing selfish. Savage, girls, for I am willing to share for the first time.
1. Never date a bro’s ex.
2. The “Dibs” Rule. When a bro declares that he likes a girl, the girl becomes off limits to the rest of the group.
3. Men are visual, women are aural. That’s why women wear make-up and men lie.
4. Never date your bro’s younger sister.
5. Never go to a bar without a wing man (ex. the wing man is the one who approaches the girl whom a bro is interested then the wing man introduces the girl to the bro).
6. It is not about the age. It is about love.
7. Bros hate Indian givers (ex in particular) or those who would take back things which they have already given to their boyfriends after a heated argument. And for that same reason, bros must not be Indian givers as well.
8. Bros hate naggers. When their girlfriends start nagging, they also start feeling that they are sleeping with their moms.
9. A bro’s pride is as expensive as a woman’s virginity.
10. When you arrive unexpectedly and there is a drinking spree going on which you are apparently not invited, be polite to take a shot when offered but that should also be the last. Respect the fact that you are not part of the group. Show some courtesy.
11. When your bro’s girlfriend starts asking about your friend’s whereabouts, never divulge anything.
12. Always sell a bro in front of his target girl. Don’t make him look bad.
13. Never divulge the sacred Bro Code to a girl unless she proves her worth.
14. Never give a detail when describing a sexual encounter.
15. Don’t call a bro by his last name.
16. Bros over hoes.
17. Bros don’t tickle a bro.
18. A bro’s car is off-limits to pranks.
19. Never make an eye contact to a bro when eating a banana.
20. Observe “bro confidentiality”. ALWAYS.
21. Pay for your dates.
22. Don’t ruin a bro’s chance of scoring.
23. Never date a bro’s mom.
24. Bros don’t cry.
25. Never share dessert.
26. Always tell a bro if his girl is cheating on him.
27. Bros don’t use straw in their drinks.
28. There is no hard and fast rule that prohibits a girl from being a “bro”.
Now the question is: do these boys consider me as a “bro” by revealing their code to me? I guess they see me harmless.
Writer’s Note: The male respondents are Filipinos. This explains why some of the answers given were distinct from that of the other versions. Rather, they are patterned after our customs and traditions.
photo credit: (for the breaking glass) http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photo-breaking-glass-image14054525